Position Description: Executive Director
Client: Charlotte Bilingual Preschool
Location: 6300 Highland Ave, Charlotte, NC 28215
Reports To: Board of Directors
Charlotte Bilingual Preschool — Organizational Description
Charlotte Bilingual Preschool prepares Spanish-speaking children for success in school and life by providing superior dual-language early childhood education. The preschool supports students’ families with parenting, life skills and English-language classes, enabling them to sustain and nurture their children’s educational and emotional development.
Charlotte Bilingual Preschool (CltBP) is a five-star licensed preschool that prepares low-income Spanish-speaking students to enter kindergarten ready to learn. CltBP offers students a dual-language education using the Creative Curriculum and proven best practices for bilingual learners. In addition, the school provides parents with coaching, tools, workshops and resources to aid them as educational partners and advocates and ensure their children’s continued success in school. Recognizing that learning and development begins before birth, CltBP also offers an Infant/Toddler program for parents with children from birth to three years old, Creciendo Juntos (Growing Together). This program offers hands-on, experiential parent education classes that supports parents to be their child’s first teachers.
CltBP’s Board of Directors has put forth an ambitious strategic vision for the next several years: to be a pioneer in the 0 to 5 educational space by creating innovative, research-based solutions for preparing Latino children for success in school and life. It is CltBP’s intention to be an example of a unified Charlotte where low-income Latino families successfully cross social boundaries to form a diverse learning community that lays the foundation for young children to be global citizens.
When the school opened in 1999, it was named Central Avenue Bilingual Preschool (CABP) after the street where the school was first established. From 1999 to 2009, CABP grew from 15 students to 96, reaching capacity at its original location. In 2012, the school changed its name to Charlotte Bilingual Preschool in preparation for future growth. Today, CltBP is located in Hickory Grove Elementary School Annex, where the school now serves 108 preschoolers and their families, as well as 80 additional families through its Infant/Toddler Program.
Now in its 18th year, Charlotte Bilingual Preschool is modifying its staff leadership structure, establishing an Executive Director role that will provide overall management and serve as the face of the organization. A Program Director, also a new role, is currently being sought to provide day-to-day management of the preschool, allowing the Executive Director to focus on strategy, relationship-building, partnership-development and fundraising.
The Charlotte Bilingual Preschool’s Board of Directors is seeking an energetic, experienced nonprofit professional with a passion for dual-language learners to serve as its Executive Director.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Management & Leadership
- Serves as the face of the School, compellingly articulating the School’s vision to various audiences
- Works collaboratively with Program Director, providing leadership and internal direction to ensure effective School management
- Defines the organization’s long-term goals and strategic focus in partnership with the Board of Directors, and implements strategic plans and annual operating plans
- Works in partnership with the Board to set and accomplish the organization’s mission and vision
- Recruits, supervises, develops, evaluates and retains superior faculty and staff
- Promotes a strong and intentional organizational culture in which faculty and staff are empowered, feel valued and are regularly recognized for their contributions
- Provides overall management of the human resources function, including supervision and a performance appraisal system
- Understands and supervises the business functions of the school, including budgeting; monitoring and reporting income, expenses, investments, and cash flow; maintenance of appropriate records; and assisting the school’s auditors
- Maintain enrollment while monitoring and assuring payments and revenues are collected
- Ensures that fiscal management complies with all legal and grant requirements, and is in keeping with sound financial practices of the nonprofit community
- Provides overall leadership in external relations including partner development and fund development, engaging in consistent outreach efforts and managing a portfolio of relationships
- Engages public, private and nonprofit leaders to develop strong partnerships that serve the mission and vision of the preschool
- Serves as the preschool’s spokesperson for media relations, and works to become a go-to resource for perspective related to Latino families and education
- Engages in public speaking and advocacy opportunities, telling the preschool’s powerful story
- Establishes and implements in tandem with Development Director an annual fund development plan with fundraising goals, strategies, action items, timelines, and assigned responsibilities
- Participates directly in fundraising activities, including identifying and meeting with donors and prospective donors to generate support
- Provides direction and supports board member involvement in fund development
- Work in tandem with Program Director to develop, implement and coordinate yearlong school curriculum and conduct ongoing assessment of the effectiveness of planned curriculum
- Provide regularized and systematic staff development opportunities
- Regularly meet with faculty and staff to discuss and review curriculum
The ideal candidate would have the following capabilities and qualities:
- Experience in the early education or human services sector
- Demonstrated passion for bilingual learners and their families
- Deep experience in external relations, preferably in the Charlotte market
- Significant fundraising experience and accomplishments
- Knowledge and experience in organizational oversight
- Proven ability to provide leadership and inspiration to faculty, staff and volunteers
- Demonstrated excellence in communications and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated track record in financial management
- Bilingual candidates strongly preferred but not a requirement
- Bachelor’s degree required
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience. Health and retirement benefits offered.
Charlotte Bilingual Preschool is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state or federal law. Charlotte Bilingual Preschool encourages candidates of all groups and communities to apply for this position.
Beginning May 24, 2017, all inquiries, nominations and applications are to be directed via email to Next Stage Consulting: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should include a cover letter and CV. Please indicate in the subject line of your email the position and organization to which you are applying and where you learned of the opportunity. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Please note that only those candidates invited for screening will be contacted.