Organization: Latin American Chamber of Commerce of Charlotte (LACCC)
Location: 145 Scaleybark Rd, Charlotte, NC 28209
Reports To: Board of Directors
Mission and Vision
The mission of the Latin American Chamber of Commerce of Charlotte (LACCC) is to foster the economic development and growth of the Latin American business community in the Charlotte region.
LACCC’s vision is to be a world-class organization for a thriving Latin American business community in the Charlotte region.
The Latin American Chamber of Commerce of Charlotte (LACCC) offers a sustainable bilingual platform of programs, events and services that engages, empowers and supports both Latino and non-Latino businesses, entrepreneurs and professionals in order to accelerate their access to resources growth and success. LACCC aims to resolve issues of upward mobility, by increasing social capital, workforce development, economic development, leadership development, and civic engagement.
- Inclusion: We believe that our diverse cultural experience is our advantage, and we intentionally include and embrace all members of our community.
- Trustworthiness: We are transparent and honor our word in everything we do.
- Passion: We are passionate about our work and the success of our members and their businesses.
- Teamwork: We are a team and collaborate to deliver outstanding results for our members.
- Familia: We cherish our common heritage and traditions, and we extend a warm welcome to everyone as one of our own familia.
The Latin American Chamber of Commerce of Charlotte started in Charlotte in 1995 as “Las Americas Business Council” within the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce thanks to a group of determined and forward-thinking Latino professionals and entrepreneurs. The LACCC was chartered by the State of North Carolina as a separate chamber in 2001 and began connecting and empowering the Latino and non-Latino business community in Charlotte. Permanent offices were established in 2006 with 13 board members representing corporations, entrepreneurs and professionals from the Charlotte region.
A formal President/CEO was hired in November 2010 to create an effective platform of programs and services that would help grow and support the Latino business community in the region after the economic downturn. The LACCC is currently approximately 400 members strong. The LACCC is a member of the United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (USHCC).
For more information about LACCC please visit http://www.lacccharlotte.com/
Mecklenburg County is experiencing a boom in its Latinx population. Based on census data, the county’s Hispanic population increased by 36% from 2010 through the end of 2019. Hispanic people now comprise 13.8% of the county’s 1.1 million residents. It is a growth spurt mirrored in other areas of the state which now boasts more than 1 million Hispanic residents or nearly one in ten North Carolinians.
This growth comes with it an opportunity to further develop the Charlotte region’s reputation as a city that welcomes and wants to do business with Latinx companies. The Latin American Chamber of Commerce of Charlotte plays a critical role in continuing to attract entrepreneurs, small businesses and corporate headquarters attracted to the region’s rich cultural diversity.
The new President/CEO will be tasked with partnering with the board of directors to establish a strategic growth plan and executing on it through external relations. The role will be ideal for a self-starter motivated by a desire to build a brand and see it grow.
The President/CEO will provide innovative leadership and strategic management for the Chamber and will serve as the liaison among the board, staff, members and the community. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the President/CEO is responsible for overall leadership and operations of LACCC including personnel, finances, membership growth and development, program management and fund development. In addition, the President/CEO is accountable for developing and achieving defined goals and objectives of the Board of Directors. Key responsibilities include:
Strategic Management and Leadership
- Serves as a strategic, visionary leader with the ability to transparently communicate goals and vision to staff, board, members and community stakeholders.
- Establishes a clear vision for continued growth and expansion for LACCC.
- Partners with the Board Chair on the creation and implementation of a 5-year strategic plan and achieving defined goals and objectives.
- Communicates regularly with the Board and engages the Board in meaningful participation to further LACCC goals.
- Maintains an effective and collaborative relationship with the Board and implements policies, programs and goals as established by the Board.
- Promotes the development of an effective Board of Directors by assisting in proactive recruitment of qualified board members, participates in board training, and encourages leadership.
- Routinely provides the board with operational and financial reports necessary for the board to carry out its responsibilities.
- Works closely with the Board, staff to meet membership goals, including strategies for recruitment, onboarding and retention.
- Defines and demonstrates a compelling value proposition to grow and retain Chamber membership.
- Develop strategies to grow membership in alignment with long-term strategic goals .
- Leads the development, implementation and evaluation of strategies for member recruitment, retention, stewardship and engagement.
Community Building and Partnerships
- Develops and maintains key community relationships to further the goals and increase public awareness of LACCC.
- Serves as the lead spokesperson and relationship-builder in the community. Initiates and strengthens relationships and collaborations with organizations and leaders connected to LACCC’s mission and goals.
- Expands public and community awareness; along with Board Chair and other officers represents the Chamber to the community, including the media.
- Creates and implements a year-round marketing and communications plan and content calendar to engage and inform members, community partners and the public.
- Works with the Board, staff and members as needed to produce press releases, invitations to media, membership information, and updates to corporate and donor sponsors.
- In partnership with the Board of Directors, develop and execute annual fundraising strategy to sustain and increase support from corporations, events, foundations and individuals.
- Leads community outreach and networking efforts to implement the annual development plan includes fundraising activities and grant requests.
- Manages grants and reporting requirements; providing necessary documentation.
Operations and Human Resources Management
- Responsible for administering and monitoring all operations of the Chamber, consistent with the mission and policies adopted by the Board of Directors.
- Plans, develops, oversees, maintains, and evaluates operational systems (e.g. data, financial, workflow) required to manage the business of the organization.
- Provides direct supervision of all staff and contractors, building staff capacity and development, overseeing staff performance, hiring and termination consistent with applicable HR policies.
- Champions a people-centered and mission-driven workplace. Builds and develops staff to deliver on the mission. Provides ongoing and real-time performance feedback and coaching.
- Works with the Executive Committee and the board to develop and maintain the appropriate Human Resource policies that attract and retain qualified staff.
- Works with the Board and Finance Committee to prepare a comprehensive annual budget and multi-year projections, anticipating changing needs and ensuring sufficient revenues.
- Works with the Board and Development Committee to secure adequate funding and revenue streams for the operation and sustainability, including individual giving, corporate sponsorships, and grant funding.
- Oversees short-term and long-term financial health, surfacing financial issues to be addressed by the Board, monitoring the budget, and ensuring sound financial controls and reporting systems are in place.
Performs other job duties as requested by the Board of Directors and committee chairs, within the scope of the position.
Required Qualifications & Competencies
The ideal candidate will have the following capabilities and qualities:
- A demonstrated commitment to the LACCC mission and the community in which it serves.
- Ability to facilitate the mission of the organization and provide staff supervision while working in a nonprofit environment.
- Ability to serve as a strategic visionary leader with excellent fundraising, administrative operations, financial management, program growth and development, relationship-building, and advocacy skills.
- Knowledge of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County nonprofit and philanthropic landscape, with established connections and a profile in the community, or demonstrated ability to quickly build such a network
- Excellent oral and written communications skills with the ability to engage formally and informally with a wide range of stakeholders
- Previous experience in engaging Board relations, developing policies, goals and objectives (optimizing the inherent resources of board members) and onboarding and training new members.
- A demonstrated team player with the ability to develop genuine, trusting relationships with staff, board and community
- Demonstrated experience managing, coaching, developing a diverse team of full and part-time staff
- Knowledge of and experience with membership organizations strongly preferred
- Bilingual and bicultural English/Spanish with proficient fluency in oral and written
- communication in both languages (required)
- At least 8 – 10 years of senior leadership experience required; experience as small business owner or leader preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Ability to work extended hours, including nights and weekends, as needed
Latin American Chamber of Commerce of Charlotte has partnered with Next Stage to help in this hire. All inquiries, nominations and applications should be directed via email to Next Stage ([email protected]). Applications must include a compelling cover letter and resume to be considered for the role. Please also indicate where you learned of the opportunity. Please note that only those candidates invited for screening will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Latin American Chamber of Commerce of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its works and staff. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state of federal law. LACCC encourages candidates of all groups and communities to apply for this position.
About Next Stage
Next Stage is a strategy and implementation firm based in Charlotte, NC and serves nonprofit organizations and social cause start-ups throughout the Carolinas. Next Stage works with nonprofit organizations to develop game-changing strategies and strengthened operations in service to mission and long-range vision. For more information about Next Stage, please visit nextstage-consulting.com.