Heart Math Tutoring (“Heart Tutoring”)
Community Outreach Director– Position Description
Location: 1100 S. Mint Street, #107, Charlotte, NC 28203
Reports To: Executive Director
Heart Tutoring’s mission is to ensure that all elementary students develop the strong foundation in math and enthusiasm for academics needed for long-term success, by helping schools use volunteers as tutors.
Heart Tutoring is a math intervention program that recruits, trains, and supports volunteers as tutors in high-poverty elementary schools in Charlotte, NC. Community members commit one hour per week to deliver an effective, hands-on curriculum through one-on-one tutoring sessions during the school day in high-poverty elementary schools.
Heart Tutoring believes volunteer tutors can be a powerful resource for students if given tools and support, and we believe all children can achieve high levels of understanding in math – a critical competency impacting long-term opportunity. As such, Heart Tutoring recruits and supports 1,280 volunteers as tutors across 23 Charlotte elementary schools with a mission of ensuring that all elementary students develop the strong foundation in math and enthusiasm for academics needed for long-term success. We focus on students who are economically disadvantaged in low opportunity areas. The program became a 501c3 nonprofit in July 2014.
To date, 98% of Heart students have met program growth goals, and over 90% of math teachers report that students show an increase in enthusiasm and/or confidence towards academics as a result of the program. Over the next five years, Heart Tutoring seeks to grow its services from supporting 1,150 students (23 schools) to 2,000 students (35-40 schools) in Charlotte while sharing the model with other cities.
For more information about Heart Tutoring, please visit hearttutoring.org.
Volunteers are the lifeblood of Heart Tutoring. Building relationships with key institutional gatekeepers, the Director will play a critical role in cultivating the volunteer base needed to give hundreds more students math skills, encouragement from a caring adult, and long-term success. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director will work laterally with Program Managers, Development staff, and other departments to meet annual tutor recruitment goals, which are expected to grow from 1,300 tutors today to over 2,250 tutors annually five years from now.
The Director will be responsible for leading and executing Heart Tutoring’s strategic plan to sustain and grow engaged partnerships to support volunteer tutor recruitment goals. The Director will be a key player individually in identifying, cultivating, and stewarding new volunteer partnerships and volunteers and serve as the lead contact for a caseload of partnerships. As a member of the Leadership Team, the Director will also serve as project manager, planning and coordinating the full team’s efforts and coaching staff to secure new volunteers and volunteer partners to provide tutoring to a growing number of students each year. Key responsibilities include:
- Develop and lead a comprehensive and diversified strategy to sustain and grow the volunteer tutor base of Heart Math Tutoring, including cultivation of organization partners, individuals, federal work study students, and other creative sources.
- Follow current trends and development in the local community to inform cross-sector partnership strategy
- Provide goals, accountability, resources, and coaching to Program Managers, development staff, other departments, and volunteer ambassadors to support effective outreach and retention of org partners and individual volunteers.
- Measure progress and adjust strategy to ensure 50 students per school have the tutors needed by October 1 and a 95% fill rate from there (measured 12/1, 1/1, 2/1, 3/1, 4/1).
- Work in partnership with Program Manger Team on new school recruitment, advising on feasibility of potential new school sites and planning for success at each one.
- Lead the creation of volunteer recruitment pitches, advertisements, and strategic messaging for community partners.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward top-level organization partners in collaboration with the Executive Director, Development Director, Board of Directors, and full team.
- Establish and build relationships with new organization partners.
- Recruit individual tutors within partner organizations by making pitches and building relationships within organizations.
- Identify leads, make asks, and build relationships in the community to recruit individual tutors for students.
- Represent Heart Tutoring at community events, tabling opportunities, networking events, and any other areas that support volunteer recruitment goals.
- Set and achieve monthly and weekly recruitment outreach goals for yourself, adjusting goals and actions to achieve a conversion rate that enables 95% fill rate throughout the year.
- Work with teammates in dual coverage models for organization outreach.
- Support volunteer-related events and other program needs as assigned/feasible.
- Promote Heart Tutoring’s core values and positive culture throughout. Promote a culture of philanthropy and collaboration across functional areas.
- Inspire staff, volunteers and donors to act with urgency to ensure all students develop the strong foundation in math and enthusiasm for academics they need for long-term success.
- Strategically uses time, leveraging volunteers to accomplish goals with efficiency and quality.
- Research, learn, and employ best practices in volunteer recruitment and management to maintain a strong foundation for Heart Tutoring’s volunteer outreach efforts.
- Contribute positively to Heart’s team, providing leadership and a high bar for excellence.
- Serves as a strong member of the Leadership Team, working with the Executive Director and others to help the organization maximize its impact, which includes supporting student outcomes, tutor retention, and fundraising goals.
Required Qualifications & Competencies
The ideal candidate exhibits Heart Tutoring’s core values, has strong leadership and relationship-building skills, and operates with a high level of organization and follow-through. The Director will be a reflective learner and will contribute positively to Heart Tutoring’s team, maintaining a high bar of excellence and leading the organization to increased impact. The ideal candidate would have the following capabilities and qualities:
- Minimum of 7 years of professional experience in relationship development, community partnerships, corporate relations and/or sales/business development
- A commitment to Heart Tutoring’s mission and maintains the strong belief that all students can learn and ultimately perform at or above grade level
- Strong ability to make connections easily and create authentic relationships with a wide variety of individuals and groups
- Ability to serve as spokesperson for Heart Tutoring, conveying the value of volunteerism to community partners and individuals
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple projects, deadlines and creatively problem solve
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency with Google Suite, Microsoft Office and CRM software
- Makes a strong, positive impression in networking and social settings; willing to make asks.
- Able to teach, tailor, and lead others in sales/recruitment environments and has studied (or is willing to study) best practices in sales/recruitment
- Track record of learning and adjusting course based on new information, including seeking and incorporating best practices from other orgs and sectors
- Believes in importance of data and attention to detail and is highly organized and efficient
- Operates with passion and sense of urgency in helping each child reach his/her full potential
- Values and exhibits collaboration and teamwork, with internal and external partners
- Enjoys multi-tasking and the fast pace of a growing organization, which requires planning and strategy in addition to flexibility and initiative
Some evening and early morning work may be required based on timing of community networking events, partner organization meetings (e.g., faith groups on weekends), and Heart Tutoring programming. Our strategy is to work collaboratively and proactively to establish a sustainable schedule, responsive to variation in season and priorities, and flexible when possible for remote vs. in-person work. We have a fast-paced environment.
Heart Tutoring has partnered with Next Stage to help with this hire. All inquiries, nominations and applications should be directed via email to Next Stage ([email protected]). Applications must include a compelling 1-page cover letter explaining your interest in the role and why you believe you are a good fit and a CV to be considered for the role. Please also indicate where you learned of the opportunity.
Heart Math Tutoring actively engages individuals from all backgrounds. We believe that our differences make our team stronger, and we also know that our students benefit from working with adults from all backgrounds. As an equal opportunity employer, Heart Math Tutoring is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
About Next Stage
Next Stage is a strategy and implementation firm based in Charlotte, NC and serving nonprofit organizations and social cause start-ups throughout the Carolinas. Next Stage works with nonprofit organizations to develop game-changing strategies and strengthened operations in service to mission and long-range vision. For more information about Next Stage, please visit nextstage-consulting.com.